We have taken note of recent statements concerning actions taken regarding concessions that Cabinet had made to ease the implementation of the amended immigration legislation and regulations. Let me hasten unreservedly to express our commitment to the success of the process.
To reiterate the actions that must be taken within three months – 1 November 2015 to 31 January 2016 – as articulated by Cabinet, we are to:
- Implement the capturing of biometrics at ports of entry starting with a pilot at OR Tambo, King Shaka and Cape Town airports,
- Look at introducing an Accredited Tourism Company Programme for countries like China, India and Russia,
- Consider a long-term Multiple Entry Visa for a period exceeding 3 months and up to 3 years for frequent travellers (for business meetings), business people and academics,
- Ensure that principals issue letters confirming permission for children to travel on school tours,
- Extend the validity of the parental consent affidavit to 6 months.
Read the full release here.